Sunday, January 18, 2009

Scrapping some pages again. I think only 2 of those are scraplifts. Most I did at Karin's retreat in Crivitz last week which was lots of fun- complete with good food and some snowmobilers providing a little drama. We stayed at the Peshtigo River Rentals, which were really nice.

There's been lots of wildlife around our house to see. Last week I was near the window and heard clear as a bell the sound from the beginning of the Colbert Report. I looked out the window and there were 2 huge eagles in our yard all talkie-talkie in the tree. So, thanks Mr. Colbert, if it weren't for you, I may not have recognized the sound. And tons of hawks. One, who, after I alerted my girls and their 2 friends to look out the window, proceeded to rip apart and skin a mouse in full view. Nice. Disgusted squeals followed by, "Can we go see the guts in the snow?"

Two snow days due to cold this week...we've had 4 days filled with playdates to stay busy. And Jeff & I went to his work Christmas party Friday night to eat and drink and dance. Today I got to meet with my book club to discuss Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. Bad storytelling but the ideas behind the story are good. Next up we read Death in a Prarie House, about Frank Lloyd Wright and the Taliesin murders, which looks like a better read. I'm also on the 3rd book of the Twilight series, which are angsty and fun. But yeah, the sexism. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one, but in books 2 and 3, Bella is so dependent on Edward that she can't function without him constantly being there...Bella goes from being an intelligent and witty girl in the first book to a helpless, close-to-killing-herself-over-a-boy kind of girl after that. She's a constant damsel-in-distress needing saving... and I hate to think she'd be any kind of role model to teenage girls. But, that said, Stephanie Meyers sure knows how to write relationships. And angst. OH so much page-turning angst and Edward/Jacob hotness.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ohhhh...I so love the crivitz area....beautiful!!! we used to go there several times a year to camp and play.....and you are right awesome snowmobiling area too

Sara said...

Wow, your book club reads hard books. I think I read Ishmael in college and didn't realize it was written backwards (the plot line) until we discussed it in class. My book club is full of people who LOVE Twilight (and my feeling on those books is you just can't think too hard and have to realize they're written by a practicing Mormon; that's how their girls are taught out here...scary stuff).

I love your scrap layouts; they're so fun and unique. How are you adhering your buttons? Adhesive or sewing?