to accept the fact that I can't make
every room in this house a craft room:
Give me courage to clean the studio I have;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Hahaha, I saw this on artjunkgirl's blog and identified. I re-did the family room downstairs to have a craft area for the kids, plus it seems I can't keep craft stuff off the kitchen surfaces either. Not to mention that I already have a perfectly good scrap room... and the unfinished part of the basement is Jeff's craft/hobby area. So far the bedrooms and the bathrooms have been safe at least.
We finally finished our mosaics we started at The Fire last month. I managed to make mine match my mailbox totally on accident, yay.

I've been a little obsessed with flag garlands which have been a trend for awhile now... see here, here, and here... so I made some small ones to go on the girls' wall shelves that hold their initials. I'm really wanting to make a couple with my fabric scraps to go in the downstairs family room too.
My neighbor Maria bought all our kids their own embroidery hoops and earlier this summer they all sat on the porch and started hand stitching their initials in felt. We were surprised that all took right to it. It was abandoned it for awhile, but then the girls finished them this week. I helped them make them into small pillows. After Maria had to show me yet again how to thread my machine. It had been awhile. (And speaking of embroidery hoops, I love the design trend all over the place of using them as a frame on the wall. See here, here, here, and here. And, I really want to make this).
While we were at it, we made ourselves some homemade 'Ugly Dolls'. Have you seen these for sale? The kids have been wanting to buy some but I told them all along we could make some that looked just as ugly, so we set out to prove we could. They hand stitched the faces and most of the sides and I machine stitched them the rest of the way shut after stuffing them with batting. I really cannot sew at all, but there's no pressure when the finished product is supposed to be ugly in the first place. Jeff was even getting in on it, helping them with their stitches when they got stuck.
Before deleting them here, I printed out my blog archives into a book at Blurb.com. Very inexpensive compared to most... mine was around 120 pages I think, and it came to $44. It's a sturdy hardbound copy; and the photos printed great on the pages, especially for being small internet size file photos.
KI Memories made some of their most popular products into digital kits now which makes me happy because I can buy the $4 kit that contains my very favorite pattern paper in the world: the Colorful Simple Stripe. I *still* use this paper, it makes me happy. Now I can print it out whenever I want to use it or add small amounts of it to digital elements. Yeah, typing that just made me laugh because there has been no scrapbooking... but now that the weather is changing, I think I'll get back to it.
Want some freebies? I printed out some copyright free art here this week to hang up for inspiration, and also came across some free fun library card pdf printables here. This page has some really beautiful, classic digital elements; all free. And here's some cool to-do list printables.
1 comment:
I was thinking of doing Blurb.com, too. Are you really pleased with it? Was it easy to use? I'm thinking I might do that and then just really only scrapbook things I want to scrapbook. Of course, then my kids might know way too much about the inner-workings of my mind as they get older and can read my blog, but I think that's a small price to pay.
I'm inspired by your flag garland, too. I love it, but sewing really scares me (this from the daughter of a home ec teacher who's taught me at least 10 times how to use her hand-me-down sewing machine).
Post a Comment